For the past 3 weeks I've been having to eat gluten every single day, which has been pretty dreadful to say the least. Gluten makes me feel atrocious; I get horribly bloated, go very dizzy, and have extreme fatigue and nausea. I've been eating gluten in preparing for a celiac blood test, which thankfully is now out the way so I'm back to being gluten free!
Today I made a lunch designed to nourish my body and help me detox from all the gluten I've been consuming.
The salad consisted of one of my favourite foods, quinoa. I cooked the quinoa with turmeric for added taste and health benefits which include it's anti-inflammatory properties, it's high level of antioxidant, and it's ability to reduce the risk of all sorts of diseases, including Alzheimer's and cancer.
I also had raw chopped carrots, rocket, tomato, pumpkin seeds and drizzled my homemade apple cider vinegar and tahini dressing over the top and finished with a healthy dollop of wonderful hummus.
Delicious, nutritious and filling.
- 50g Quinoa
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tomato
- A large handful of rocket
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water before adding to an empty pan.
- Add 200ml of boiling water to the quinoa and bring back to the boil, then reduces to a simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Add the turmeric just before the quinoa has finished cooking.
- Cut up the tomato and carrot and put in your bowl along with the handful of rocket.
- For the dressing use 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, a splash of water and 1 tbsp of tahini. Mix together.
- Once your quinoa is done drain it if you need to, otherwise spoon it straight into your bowl with the other ingredients.
- Sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds over the top.
- Pour the delicious dressing onto your meal.
- Finish with a spoon full of hummus.